Ever since the debut of her Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen wedding dress, Kate Middleton has made fashion headlines. Her fashion choices crash designers’ websites. Most of the clothes she owns are on back order for years. As is the case with most mega-celebrities, the Duchess formerly known as Kate Middleton is now the subject of scrutiny for her fashion choices. God forbid we actually leave a well-dressed, friendly celebrity alone. Here’s what the Duchess of Cambridge has been criticized for in the fashion department:
1) Re-wearing her clothes. The Duchess made headlines when she appeared at her husband’s cousin’s wedding in a green dress that she had worn a few weeks ago while rubbing elbows with American celebs. In a recent interview on Jay Leno, Kelly Osbourne criticized Kate for re-wearing clothes, citing the fact that in Britain that is a huge fashion faux pas.
2) Her make-up choices. Designer Vivienne Westwood has a problem with Kate’s eye makeup. Westwood recently criticized the Duchess for the sharp lines around her eyes created by her eyeliner. Shortly after the royal wedding (for which Kate did her own make-up), critics thought Kate applied too much blush and eyeliner.
3) Dressing too conservatively. Vivienne Westwood also thinks that Kate’s style choices are boring. She said Kate’s image is “ordinary woman.” A post a few weeks ago on The Frisky further illustrated this point by saying that Kate should not be considered a fashion icon and her clothes are way too conservative. Uninspired. It looks like she buys her clothes from Talbots.
These criticisms of Kate’s fashion are simply ridiculous. How can people be so critical of someone so chic, so stylish, so poised, and so demure? Here’s what I think about these crass judgments:
1) Re-wearing your old clothes? Really? That’s a problem? Because you know, that’s what the rest of us have been doing for centuries. With a tight economy and constantly changing styles, we should all be re-wearing our clothes. Just because you’re a wealthy celebrity and can afford to always buy new clothes doesn’t mean that you should. Thanks, Kate, for making me feel better about the fact that I’m re-wearing a Banana Republic jersey dress that I bought four years ago.
2) Kate is a duchess who owns half of Prince William’s worldly goods and she still does her own makeup. I applaud her for that. She doesn’t need ladies in waiting, she has her own two hands and a vanity. Not only does she do her own make-up, but her work is viewed by billions of people. Kudos, Kate. Kudos.
3) What’s wrong with dressing conservatively? Less is more. I’m so sick of people who barely put on clothes and then run around as if they invented style. Or what about those people who “dress different” to “make a statement”? I’m sorry, but leg warmers do not mittens make. What’s wrong with dressing like a distinguished woman? I salute your fashion choices, Kate. I would love to get my hands on that tan Reiss dress.
4) Only Kate Middleton has the fashion clout to rock sheer pantyhose. Before, I used to hate them, now I love them. Sheer pantyhose make your legs look shiny, covering up any dry or unshaved patches. Way to bring back an old trend, Kate. Well played.